Saturday, January 4, 2014

My 9 UNOFFICIALLY Least Favorite Films of 2013



A new year has come upon us in all its shining glory... and I haven't even seen more than 34 films of the last one. There are many reasons for this - lack of money, lack of interest in paying too much money to watch movies, lack of possibility to watch new releases in English (I can't handle German dubs more than 4 times a year), outdated German and Danish release dates, lack of time and the fact that we moved to the country side. So maybe I should be happy that I've even seen 34 movies!

To honor this little bunch of flicks while not dishonoring the film year itself, I have decided to put together an unofficial list of my favorites and least favorites. Be gentle with this one though; I don't deliberately go out and watch the movies that are supposed to be bad, so it's nowhere near representing the worst last year had to offer. Let's start with the top of the bottom then, shall we?

9. Paradies: Hoffnung Paradise: Hope
An Austrian film, the last one in the Paradise trilogy (I haven't seen the second one yet). I'm a little concerned about its appearance in this list, because it certainly wouldn't have made it into it, had I seen more movies. It's that movie right in between the ones I rather disliked and the ones that were more average. My main problem with this one was that it was boring in parts and nothing really happened. What it does very well is to show how teenagers act and talk to each other though, and their dreams that are so easily destroyed.

8. The Hangover Part III
Most of the films that are in this list aren't super bad, I just disliked great parts of them or was very bored. This last film in the Hangover trilogy isn't boring nor very unlikable - it's just not very original. Chow is funnier than usual (read: less annoying) and there are some plot twists, but it missed a special something. However, the last 5 minutes are redeeming for everyone that loved Part 1.

7. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Everytime my sister brings up how much she hates Gravity, I bring this film up. Sadly, I can't completely hate it, since it has some fun moments, great action and devoted leads. But honestly, there was so much more potential in this story.

6. Iron Man 3
I didn't fall head over heels in love with the first Iron Man film, so maybe I should've seen this coming. It's just kind of disappointing how forgettable this film was, when I think of how great Tony was in The Avengers. Honestly, I don't remember anything about this film except for the plot twist.

5. The Purge
Sometimes, the dark end of favoritism is linked the expectations. When I first saw the trailer for The Purge - and the many times after that - I was hooked. It sounded like the best horror film I had seen in ages - social commentary, Ethan Hawke and some murdering, mask-wearing youngsters! Well, see how it turned out; The Conjuring, which I thought had one of the most boring trailers ever, became one of my favorites of the year and The Purge ended up on this side of the tunnel. I loved the beginning, but then the excitement wore off quickly. There was no tension, no horror, no nothing. The ending was interesting though, I liked how there was a moral relief even though you wouldn't call it a happy ending.

4. Grown Ups 2
Some part of me loved this politically incorrect, overweight, 80s roller coaster ride. But I also must say; it's not nearly as funny as the first one. I don't remember any running gags or one particular line, even one particular scene - except for the Taylor Lautner Twilight parody (that was awesome). So that's the reason it's on this list. But it's ok if you like this kind of movie once in a while, like I do.

3. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag translates to 'Run Milkha Run'
Not even the title is original. I don't know what I ever saw in Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, but his latest work certainly doesn't live up to my expectations. Farhan Akhtar is great in the role as Milkha Singh, a famous Indian athlete, but that's where the fun stops. This is just a very bland story that drags on and on through 2+ hours, with some very bad CGI flashbacks and a forgettable performance by Sonam Kapoor. Everyone calling this one of the best Indian films of 2013... I think we saw two different films.

2. Christmas With Tucker
Tv movies do count, don't they? This one is a Hallmark production I think, and yes, it was enjoyable for what it was. That being said, I've seen far better predictable holiday family movies in this year alone. This one was just very pale in comparison.

1. PoziĊ£ia copilului Child's Pose
The film that won the Golden Bear at this year's Berlinale (the biggest German film festival). Do I have bad taste or does the jury? We'll never know. The leading actress in this one is uh-mazing, I'm telling you. Her performance blew me away. But what about the shaky cam? What about the non-existent story? What about every character being an asshole? What about no soundtrack? ...What about I can't handle this kind of cinema?! There. At least I'm not pretending to have a kind of taste I just don't have.

Back to you:
What were your least favourite films of 2013?


16 comments:

  1. OMG, Mette! You are trashing Tucker??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, it's not bad bad... but it was too forgetable!

      Delete
  2. I actually like reading 'worst' lists. I saw a lot of complaining on Twitter about people posting them, but I think they're always interesting to read. I want to know before hand if a film I have high hopes for is probably going to suck, that way I don't let my expectations get too high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did? I enjoy reading them. I try to go to every movie positively, but you know, sometimes a movie just isn't as good as others, and you've go to accept that. No worst list - no best list!

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen most of these (which I guess is a good thing!) but I actually enjoyed aspects of The Purge. A rather terrifying concept, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, certainly. The concept of The Purge is great and I hope they're going to use its potential better in the sequel.

      Delete
  4. HA I've seen 12 films from 2013 so I win! No seriously, I haven't seen any of these, but I guess that means I can cross The Hangover III and Iron Man 3 from my watchlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you do! I did find out that I'd seen 10 or less films from from 8 of the 12 decades that movies have been made in. So I HAVE to improve my knowledge of classics this year (that is, after I've seen most of the Oscar nominees).
      If you love any of the two franchises, you should watch the movies. I especially heard many positive views on Iron Man 3. But it's up to you, I can't really recommend any of these.

      Delete
    2. Naah I think I'm gonna skip it, I like the first Hangover film but that was it. Oh I'm excited for you, I know you've seen some good ones already but I hope you'll find many more awesome classics this year!

      I'm gonna try to watch this year's oscar nominees too, last year I didn't so the ceremony was a bore.

      Delete
    3. Yeah that's my main reason to watch them too, I love putting together my own ballot and stuff, it's exciting. Although the film I want the most not to win usually wins Best Picture - so far 12 Years a Slave stands a good chance.

      Delete
  5. Yeah I agree.... we don't deliberately go out and watch bad movies. That's why a list of a year's worst films are usually done by professional writers whom are payed to watch every single movie that comes out. Thankfully out of the 9 you've listed, I've only seen 2! Also I admire that you picked a movie that won at a film festival as your least favorite. We don't have to follow what critics say.... this is our taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And I didn't even deliberately pick it as #1 to prove a point or something, I really think it's the movie that I disliked the most. Good for you that you've only seen 2, but then again, I watch some weird and unknown movies sometimes.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen most of these either but I am sort of surprised to see Iron Man 3. It wasn't great or even good but not terrible either for me. Similarly, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. Of the 50 I have seen, BMB is 35th and IM3 31st so I am certainly not going to do any defending. I liked certain aspects of it but I'll agree there were things there that had no business being there. It was way too long for instance.

    I guess all I am saying is at least you didn't see Race 2. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's because I haven't seen many bad films in general, so Iron Man 3 just ended up in the list of my least favorite ;).

      I'm not planning to go anywhere near Race or it's sequel.

      Delete
  7. The Purge was so awful, such a waste of time. Glad to see it on there.
    Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was very, very disappointed in it.

      Delete

Let the discussion begin!